Friday, July 31, 2009

Do you display your art work?

I have joined a yahoo group of lovely ladies in the True North Arts with Kathryn Antyr, and they have been discussing 'Do you dispaly your art work?'.
For me this question became a profound one, it really got me thinking about my art work and how I perceive myself as an "artist".
The answer to the question in short is NO, I do not display my art work, and as I realised this I became curious with myself and wondered, why? Am I afraid of what others think? Am I not proud of my stuff? Will people judge me in some way from what they see?
Then I had an Ahaa! moment.... I understood why for so long I had struggled to get into making and creating, even when inside my head I had a constant voice telling me to make things to create, to let go!
Even to this day the voice talks to me," create, just get the paints out, you'll feel better"it says. And the voice is right, I always feel better, but yet I found it difficult to keep that creative rhythm, and the reason was that I was too stuck on the end result, on having this perfect image.
Today I realise the time that I have spent in fear of not making something right, I lost in making nothing.
So I have made a promise to myself in getting the paints out more often, in dis
playing my art work, and creating more often, in listening to that voice who never lets up!
Also lately I have been wearing some of my creations, scarves and jewellry I made a while back.
These are earings which I made a few months ago, but felt too big so I changed the shape and yes I wore them out a few times! :)


Still having fun with my concoctions of homemade things, thought I would share another homemade beauty tip, I make this often to exfoliate the face with.
Oat Face Scrub


  • 1-2 tblsp oatmeal/rolled oats
  • enough water to make a paste

Once you have a paste consistancy, mix in a small bowl using fingers to squish the oats up, scrub on a cleansed face for two minutes.(I sometimes leave on and shower away then at the end I will rinse off with warm water). Rinse and pat dry. Oats are soothing to skin and mildly cleanses.

Other ingredients which you can add oats are:
  • tsp of lemon juice, not on sensitive skins!
  • 1 drop of lavender essential oil
  • tbsp full cream plain yoghurt
  • tbsp raw honey


Going away to family for the weekend and will come back with some photos of mums new chooks! The girls have the job of naming all six of them and collecting some eggs for us to bring home....wishing you all a lovely weekend.

Angie ox

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angie, thanks for stopping by and for your comments. Your question Do You Display Your Work? is an interesting one. Up until now I have only displayed one or two of my pictures and I don't wear my own jewellry very often. I have, in the past, done most of my art work in journals or put whatever I have done away in a cupboard. But the ones on my blog are displayed proudly above my desk, so that is a huge step forward. My daughters have a few that I have done. Except for three pictures, I have put very little value on anything I have done. That is changing slowly. I watched a video on Hybrid J's blog by Elizabeth Gilbert who wrote Eat, Pray, Love a very inspiring talk and I would like to connect with that muse, spirit, whatever and let it work through me. I should say play through me. Children a great for teaaching us this.

    Your earrings are beautiful, very unique. I look forward to seeing more of your creative works.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, leave a comment and share your thoughts...