Saturday, July 25, 2009

Friendships and Creative Spaces

The very first thing I would like to express is a great big thankyou to Hybid J for passing on the "WaterMelon 10 Award" , I believe that it is for people who blog and share their creative spirit on line, (even though of late I have been rather out of touch on the sharing).
So again THANK YOU and I would like to pass this torch on wards to 3 other gorgeous creative ladies:
  • Beverly Baird from Bunny's Girl

  • Tamarak from Tamarak's Table

  • Cynthia from Under a Violet Moon
These ladies have shown me that as women we can be supportive of each other and inspiring too. So thank you girls for rocking my creative boat!!!

As part of the 'Self-portrait' art prompt this month in Creative Every Day I have been thinking about what things express who I am, what things in this world help define me, show my true colours. I wanted to show you my creative space where most of my work is done. (Often this space is also over taken by 2 smaller girls!) As you can see on the left side I have a sewing machine, given to me by mum 2 x-mas's ago, haven't used it yet. But have just bought some material to make a bag, that is why I have the machine out. I love fabrics and the textures of sewing, but have always been afraid to actually do it! I feel myself resisting to do it. But with baby steps, micro movements, I will make that bag. I have already cut the material ready for sewing, just need to iron the batting on.

Another thing I have been revisiting is Aromatherapy, before children I used to make my own bath salts, massage oils and face masks. Somehow in the busyness of life having moved 3 times since having children I kind of lost a part of me, kind of forgot stuff. (I made massage blends for the girls when they were babies but then I stopped)Here and now I am slowly remembering what is important and have started to make up some new recipes for me. I have a new motto, Natural is best, if you can't eat it its best not to apply it on your body. My first new cleanser I have been using at the moment is a sugar and olive oil scrub. I have oily skin but this seems to give my skin a glow, especially now as it is winter and the heaters are so drying.

So give this a try - 2tbls of brown soft sugar with 1tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and a drop of your favourite essential oil, I use bergamot. I do this in the shower and the aromas of the essential oil are sensational. When I started doing these homemade remedies I felt like it was such an indulgence. I was giving myself the time to care for myself and reconnect with my body, in winter I often feel like I hide my body under the layers of clothing and don't even look at it until summer comes!

Hope you all give yourselves time this weekend to reconnect with yourselves and indulge a little in some YOU time...

Angie ox

7 comments:

  1. Great to see you! :)

    Could see that you are a multi-talent artist from your creative space. Mine is books, books & more books ...

    And thank you for the receipe of the scrub. Interestingly, I used to have essential oil jar burning at home but haven't done it for years. I'll take your lead and have a bit of aromatherapy for myself. Need it for the cold winter.

    Great Post and thanks for the compliment to my DM Wing boots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice creative space you have. I hope you get over your resistance to sewing your bag, it's strange how that happens but sometimes jus starting gets you through it. I have just started doing some crazy quilting and got so far with it and then put it aside but it's sitting here calling to me.

    I stop by your blog almost every day just to see if you are posting. Thanks for visiting me and letting me know you had posted.

    Your aromatherapy bath salts, massage oils face masks sound delicious, I am really happy for your that you have reconnected with that part of yourself. It's so important.

    Enjoy the luxury of treating yourself to your own mixtures. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Angie - for stopping by and for the award. That is so very thoughtful of you.
    I loved the glimpse of your studio. Mine is still in the dream stage! I so wanted it done by end of July - but still lots to do.
    Oh well at least I am creating and having fun.
    I just signed on for True North's Visualizing course - seems like it will be good.
    Take care and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you sweet lady, you are so kind to think of me. What a cute little award! I love watermelon!

    I used to dabble in aromatherapy and for a while I ordered from a place in australia -- can't remember where or the name. I still play using my diffuser, more for air freshening and mood changing than anything.
    Always liked Bergamot -- and Clary Sage.

    Love to you honey, you brightened my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you've been sick.

    When you mix the oils in the shower, what do you then DO with them. I guess I pictured putting them in bath water.

    Thanks for the photo of your studio. It's always a kick to see other people's creative spaces. Now, I'll have to put mine online.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Snowbrush, thanks for the condolences, but I am better now. To answer your question the sugar, olive oil and essential oil are mixed in a small bowl and mixed together then you apply it to your skin as a cleansing scrub, rub gently for 2 mins then rinse under the running water and pat dry, it really gives your skin a glow!
    Cynthia you are most welcome and yes aromatherapy oils in diffussers work just as well to alter moods and enliven bodies, when we come back from a big day at school I will put on a mix of orange, lavender and patchouli, very calming and soothing for the soul!
    Bev you are also welcome for the award and sounds like you are creating many great things.
    Leone and Hybrid J thank you for the positive words and spirit you always share with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angie!

    Sorry...took me a while to get here...thank you so much for the Watermelon Award!!! It is always nice to be recognized by your fellow bloggers!

    It is taking me a bit to get back into the swing of things...getting all the little bits and pieces back to where they should be and dealing with what needs dealing with!

    You have a nice studio! I have a great space too...but it is a disaster at the moment! I tend to clean it up every so often, then work away filling up all the cleaned up space, until I am right down to a tiny little spot...then I clean again and the cycle begins anew! I am at the need to clean it up stage right now!

    Sewing scares me too...not sure why...I have always resisted it...but, once I made a blazer with the guidance of my Mom - who can sew beautifully...but then I went right back to resisting it again! I'm probably just afraid that my family will expect me to mend stuff if they see me sewing!

    The homemade aromatherapy washes and scrubs sound wonderful...my daughters make thier own things sometimes...and I love yummy smelling things...your after school mix sounds great!

    Thanks again for the award...for stopping in and taking the time to comment...always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, leave a comment and share your thoughts...