Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Oil Painting



The first image above is of my first ever oil painting, taken from a photo from our recent holidays in Byron Bay, this is one of the gorgeous views which we enjoyed daily on our stay there.
The painting isn't finished yet, so far this is my second coat, few more to go till I am happy with it, needs more detail and 3 dimensional effect on the front in particular. I really enjoyed painting with oils wet on wet, particularly when I make a mistake I can easily wipe it off! The paints are bright and strong too.
This is our last art piece of the art course which finished last week, and sadly I couldn't go to all my classes, so now will try to finish this at home in time for the Exhibition in February. We can enter any piece and I will enter the oil painting.
Promise to show the other paintings in the following week.
I have been U tubing (is that even a word?) and finding lots of fun arty painting activities to do at home, loving Miliande a lot and have started to do a piece from her in acrylics and mixed media. I really enjoy doing experimental pieces where there are no rules as such and just let the play come into it, where my art classes felt very different very structured and informative. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my art classes but at times I did question whether this is where I wanted to go with my art, but Kim, the teacher, said you need to know the theory of each medium and explore them, and you need to be able to know what each medium can do.
What I was also wondering was whether art could have another vocation, to use a word. What I am getting at is can art also be used to free your spirit more, heal and find those parts of us we feel are lost sometimes? Mmmm, something to contemplate....
Hope your art whether you paint or write or sing fills those places for you and brings you joy!
Angie x

3 comments:

  1. Love your painting. Great photo to use as inspiration!
    Sounds like a wonderful course.
    I agree that art can be therapeutic - it has helped me a lot, especially in the past year! I think we all need to express our creativity in some way. For each of us, we need to find that path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie!
    I'm so glad you stopped by my blog, it's so nice to meet you! I look forward to seeing you on Sunday ~ please make sure you introduce yourself!!
    I am SO with you about the 'uniform' art vs 'freedom' art.
    Art for me really is a connective, nurturing, freeing and almost spiritually vibrant practice. I went to art school for 1 year and that was enough for me! Since then I teach myself and attend the occasional art workshop I'm interested in, cause I like learning the properties of mediums myself through exploration. I also do a lot of work with kids which teaches me as well, as they are so expressive, creative and non-conformist. It's such a blessing!
    Anyway, I look forward to meeting you on Sun!
    C :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your painting looks great, look forward to seeing it finished. It sounds like you are really getting into the creativity. Many artists regret taking formal training because they later have to go back and get in touch with their originality, so I guess it's personal preference. I have a friend who does primitive art, which I just love, and she has no formal training at all. I would call her an artist. She has had a couple of shows.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, leave a comment and share your thoughts...