Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Micro- movements, stillness and inspiration

In the past few weeks I have made more progress in my art than I have the whole year. Instead of sitting for big chunks of time, I have been taking snippets of it and quickly working away, stealing five minutes here and there depending on what is happening.
Moving slowly on each project, then working some more as time allows.
I always thought that doing it this way would lack passion or focus, but I have surprised myself that it actually makes more fun, and less pressure. I have made lots of journal backgrounds, with left over paints, fibre, materials what ever I had at hand. Soon I will fill these pages with collage, words, journaling, doodling and more paint! Fun-fun-fun!

Which brings me to my new years resolution! Fun being the operative word. When I did the art course I had to learn so much in such a short period, and a lot of focus on skill and technique, and for me it took away the fun of art and the spontaneity it can have when you are excited and exploring new mediums or projects. If I can find a different art course which encourages these values and beliefs I will enroll straight away!






This is a drawing of a girl from my imagination, (I have been enjoying drawing and sketching faces) I will transfer her image on to a painted canvas and then I will doodle some shapes around her. This idea was taken from Milliande's Channel on You Tube called "Mixed Media Painting Canvas - Combining Art" Lots of exploring and playing, so much fun!
A few weeks ago I met with Crissy at the Northey Street Markets, she is a wonderful inspiring artist who is involved in community and environmental art work. I went with my girls to one of her workshops, we made planter pots and covered it with recycled materials, Chrissy then gave us sunflower seeds to grow in our pots. The seedlings are growing beautifully, when they flower I will post a picture, we are all very excited to see them. Maybe I will be inspired to sketch them!
The new year will bring with it many exciting challenges. I will be starting work, after 7 years of being a stay at home mum (ohh my!). In late January I will be teaching as a Relief for the first few years as I am new to Queensland Education, I am originally from Darwin Northern Territory. So I need to make up points till I become permanent and then I can find work at a school, this is where I have come up with my wonderful idea, to make an Art Club in school time and do some sort of journal art, or canvas painting with kids that are interested in creative arts. Another idea I have been thinking of strongly is about doing more studies in Art Therapy, as you can see from most of my posts I believe art can heal us and bring peace and joy to our lives by allowing us to free our worries or burdens through expressing ourselves. But we will see what the year brings.
I wanted to thank you all for supporting and sharing your art and your hearts with me throughout the year, this journey has given me so much, a real belief that life can give you what you need at the right time. It has helped me grow and realise that we truly all are wonderful special human creative beings.
Merry Christmas to you all, love Angie. :D

4 comments:

  1. Bravo to your achievement throughout the year! You have been doing well and I'm sure you'll do even better in the coming year. Congrat to the new venture (teaching) for next year. Bet you must be looking forward to it.

    Also, thank you for being such wonderful and supportive blogging friend.

    I've finished your X'mas Giveaway Artwork for a while. If you still want it, pls email me at hybridj@gmail.com and leave me your mailing address or the address you want the artwork to send to. I'll put it in the mail.

    Cheers and have a wonderful X'mas and New Year. Continue to keep up your good work and remember that you're an artist ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you all the best at Christmas and may the New Year bring all you wish for!
    I look forward to seeing more of your art. Thank you so much for supporting me on my journey.
    All the best Angie - to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to you Angie a very merry Christmas too. It's wonderful to hear you speaking about your projects. kids need teachers who are passionate about their work and their ideas. You will be a blessing to the Qld education system. Good luck in dealing with some of the more blazé kids. It will take all your strength but hang in there - they are the ones that most need you! Looking forward to reading of your progress.
    Much love
    Ange

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello lovely Angie!!
    What a wonderful post!
    I'm studying art therapy next year ~ I reckon you would LOVE the course! It's based in Melbourne so you fly down 4 times a year for 4 day intensives, the rest is external. The whole course is based on experiential learning, assignments are art-based: journalling etc. VERY VERY COOL!!!
    There might still be places ... email me if you want more details!
    Thanks for the mention as well. It's a really beautiful post, you help me to connect with my own creative spirit!
    Love C xox

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, leave a comment and share your thoughts...